Final Pavilion Part 2: Building a Pavilion!


At this point, with the entire pavilion designed in Rhino, it was time time to build it! Originally I was going to build the model at 1/4 inch scale (1/4″ = 1′), but I decided that, at such a small scale, it would be hard to fully realize the space and forms of the pavilion. I felt that the model would become to constricted and hard to read. So I decided to up the scale and build at 1/2″ = 1′. This resulted in a truly large model, much larger than I had anticipated, with the long side reaching almost 6 feet long!

To help solve the inevitable problem of how I was to move such a model, I designed it such that it could be easily disassembled and reassembled. Each of the six pods were sat in a slight indent in the base, and were locked in with their respective keys/anchors. The base itself then folded up into a 3.5’x3.5′ box.

I started construction with the pods. All the pods were made with 1/16″ taskboard – this insured that there were no color variations between different parts of the pods or between the pods themselves. The taskboard was used because it was cheaper, readily available, and didn’t take as long to laser-cut (which, with each student’s limited amount of laser-cutter time, was absolutely essential. I simply didn’t have the time necessary to cut the entire structure out of, say, basswood). I also cut each pod’s “anchor” out of basswood, in keeping with my previous models. You can various views of some of the pods below.

Following the pods, I began construction on the base. This proved to be the most challenging, but definitely my favorite part! Solving the task of how to put it together and support the entire structure was a welcome challenge. I ended up dividing the base into three sections (due to the maximum size of the material), which were then painted and grided, and then attached using various strips of taskboard below. This section of the model was mainly constructed with coldpress, as it was slightly sturdier than taskboard and could support the loads of the pods on top. The entire surface of the pavilion’s ground was elevated about 3″, to allow for the sections that “sank” into the ground, and to give the model some depth. I have included some images of the base below.

And below you can see the completed model, fully assembled.

I have also included a basic render from Rhino/V-Ray which places the pavilion on its site in Troy.

A basic render of the pavilion on location in Troy, NY.

A basic render of the pavilion on location in Troy, NY.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s